Macon County Sheriff's Office
Law Enforcement Center
1820 Lakeside Drive
Franklin, NC 28734
Phone: (828) 524-2811
Fax: (828) 349-2275
Detention Captain Email
Sheriff's Office Organizational Chart
Compliment an Employee
File A Complaint
Search Macon County
Sexual Offender Registry
Protective Order & Other
Macon County Law Enforcement Center
The Macon County Detention Center, built in 1999, is a 75 bed facility for holding sentenced and unsentenced individuals who have less than a year to serve or are awaiting sentencing.
The facility has three male dormitories. Two of the dormitories hold 24 inmates each and one dormitory holds 12 inmates. There is one female dormitory, which holds 12 female inmates. There is a medical isolation cell and two single lock down cells for inmates with special needs.
The dorms are under watch by the control room operator and detention officers, who make regular rounds throughout the facility. In addition, there are more than 20 video cameras, which also provide surveillance throughout the facility.
The detention center has an agreement with the local health department to take care of inmates in need of non-emergency medical attention.
The detention center has a work release program that allows a sentenced inmate, who meets certain requirements, to be checked out of the facility at 7 a.m. and return at 7 p.m.
Inmates are also given the opportunity to take part in Bible studies and worship services twice a week.
There are also counseling and substance abuse programs offered to inmates.
The following are responsible for the administration of
The Macon County Detention Center.
- Lt. Steve Stewart › Mon. - Fri. 9am - 5pm › (828) 349-2264
- Ms. Lu Sharpe › Mon. - Fri. 9am - 5pm › (828) 349-2270
- Sgt. Doug Hampton › Mon. - Fri. 7am - 5pm › (828) 349-2264
- Sgt. Robert Young › Mon. - Fri. 4pm - 5am › (828) 349-2264
- Dorm #1 1:00-3:30pm Saturday
- Dorm #2 1:00-3:30pm Sunday
- Male Lock Down 3:30-5:00pm Saturday
- Segregation NO VISITATION
- Attorneys Business hours - Monday through Friday 9:00am-5:00pm
- Clergy Scheduled through Sheriff’s Office Chaplain
- Only 2 visitors allowed per inmate (children under 16 years of age do not count).
- Visitors must be on the inmate’s "Visitors List".
- The only items that may be brought to visitation are money orders or cashier's checks (made out to the inmate).
- It is the inmate’s responsibility to inform family who is on their “Visitors List” and what dorm they are in.
THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THESE RULES
The Macon County Detention Center is administered by Lt. Steve Stewart Joined the U.S. Air Force in 1993
- Honorably discharged in 1996
- Deputy Sheriff/Road Patrol officer with the Macon County Sheriff's Office 1998
- Police Officer with Franklin Police Department 2001 - 2005
- Investigator with Macon County Sheriff’s Office 2005 - 2006
- Senior Police Advisor in Iraq 2008 - 2011
- Lieutenant, Jail Administrator Macon County Sheriff’s Office 2011
The Detention Center Administrative Officer/Notary is Ms. Lu Sharpe.
The Detention Center Chaplain is Lynn Dulakis.